Wednesday, January 19, 2011

crazy antics

bah so much to tell, so much to write and yet so lazy.
Im in love with the patients at my placement. They are just so adorable! There's this one patient who screams as if he's dying everytime he has a bowel movement(bm). The first time it happened I freaked out I thought there was something wrong. He has stones in his bladder (he's going for surgery monday to get the removed) so I thought it was in relation to that. Anyways I thought something was wrong and I run to get my nurse (who sucks by the way) and she goes oh don't worry he's just having a bowel movement. Everytime this man poops... he yells like he's in labour! NO EXAGERRATION :| I'm still not used to it! So my nurse was dispensing the medications and this other patient (who I just love!) was sitting there in his wheel chair by us. He loves the attention, you know he was a lady's man in his younger years and so he was just chilling. So the BM patient was having another bm and started yelling. Lol my nurse goes Ah he's having another bm he likes letting the whole world know he's having a bm. The other patient who was just sitting there was like tell me about it! (hahah he shares the same room with him). The moment my nurse said that I thought to myself I guess this is the karma I'm repaying for letting people know about when I need to poo. Bahahaha. The BM patient is also very touchy. Not only did he touched my nurse's butt but also poked my teacher in the stomach. LOL :S The "chilling" patient is my gosh such a charmer. He says to me you look mixed..like me! Well that was a first. They are so sweet and flattering.
This morning we were having a meeting before our shift. So we're all just sitting there going over the charts. One of the patients she comes out of her room. Now people please visualize this to get the full effect. An old white pale lady, in a white gown, white hair with a hunch back walking out of a dim lit room. LOL :| yeah I was startled for a bit but she's so adorable. She has this irsih accent and she's like "you guys woke me up!" and one of the nurses' was like "well we're getting started on work" and she replies "who's going to make me my coffee?" she's adorable. I had to help her pee. Not only did I see an old mans penis but also an elderly vagina. Oh man people things do not get pretty when we get old. Everything just droops south! :|
Then there's my sweetheart. He's very quiet, you can tell he's very humble but despite his old age he's still got that charming smile. He's got parkinson's disease but likes to eat on his own. He used to be a mailman.
I also saw my nurse give an enema today. OH MY GOSH! and after that my nurse had to use a hoyer lift to lift another patient onto the toilet...and the minute his butt his the commode he pooped...while i was there!! I couldn't get the smell out of me. Like I smelt it everywhere I went. Oh and the chilling patient let me take his BP and I got ~120 for systolic and I was close because when I did his BP on the automatic machine it was 124. I couldn't hear this diastolic.
My nurses ucks, she does everything too fast and doesn't teach. She off to break by 9 am (we start at 7:30 mind you) whereas my partner's nurse is getting taught and questioned on drugs. I was like *gasp* when she asked my partner what lasix was. My nurse also gives attitude to not only me, to other nurses and even my clinical teacher. My teacher was on the computer typing out drugs, my nurse goes and closes her word document with out say anything. My teacher was just like :S. Besides the nurse, I've got a great teacher and the students I'm working with are awesome. My partner and I have been in the same lab since first semester. Hence why we're partners. The teacher and us blend quite well. She's so laid back and is more about teaching and not getting things done or getting marks. She even said I'm not here to fail you I just want you to get a good feel for this setting. She works in the med-surg part of her hospital so like alot of players from the Raptor's and even Drake's mom was in that unit. She's told us story about having a patient who had a broom up his butt. Talk about Harry Potter gone wrong. =\
School seems to be first place right now in the race of life. My other focus is going to the gym with my mom. As for him, I think about him quite often. Can't help but wonder how he's doing and what's going on with him. I also can't help but wonder how things would be if he was in my life right now. But one thing is for sure there are so many ways you can just meet people in the hospital itself. The cute guy who fills the med-carts with drugs smiled at me today :) so just saying...not going to hop in a boat with a guy and sail of into the sunset. I do miss him and his company but like the Dalai Lama (the dude is awesome!) tweeted today: Mutual respect is the foundation of genuine harmony. And mutual respect is and was lacking (on BOTH OUR PARTS).

No comments:

Post a Comment