Thursday, November 25, 2010

HISTORY LESSON


Keri Hilson's new song played on the radio as I drove to school still half asleep. I heard this song and I'm like "SERIOUSLY WTF?" because the chorus goes "Don't hate me 'cause I'm beautiful". So I changed the station thinking it was another shallow and egocentric pop song. After watching the video, I'm addicted to the song and I found out what the video is really about. She was representing black women from the past and present who have left a significant mark in the media. So here's the list:
1. Josephine Baker --> First African American to star in a major motion picture
2. Dorothy Dandrige --> first African American to be nominated for a best-actress Academy Award
3. Andrews Sister
4. The Supremes --> Diana Ross is a legend herself which is who Keri portrays
5. Janet Jackson
6. TLC
7. Herself (Keri Hilson)
Reference: http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/hiphopmediatraining/317159/keri-hilson-pays-tribute-to-janet-tlc-supremes-in-pretty-girl-rock-video/

The song is not about I'm hott and don't hate me for it. I realized that it was an "anthem" for women to love themselves and do the "pretty girl rock".

alright im tempted i have to do it so please don't mind my sudden burst of confidence.
My name is Ami, I'm so very
Fly oh my it's a little bit scary
Boys wanna marry looking at my derrierre
You can stare but if you touch it I'ma bury

No comments:

Post a Comment