Saturday, August 6, 2011

*sigh*

What a way to spend Friday night. Not to come off as selfish but I'm just saying. My grandfather has Alzheimer's Disease and seeing that it's great weather he tends to go for walks. He left at 5 pm and didn't return home at 7 his usual time for dinner and his meds. At 8:15pm I get a call from my other grandpa how he hasn't come home yet. I come home from the gym and get on my bike. I cycled around the neighbourhood and vicinity with no luck. By the time I reached back home it was 9:00 ish. That's when my dad came home and we called 911. There was 5 police cars parked outside my house. Two were under cover and the special unit came in to get my grandfather odour for search and rescue canine unit. Yeah I know! :| My aunt had come over, so did my cousin and also my uncle. The neighbours were wonderful and helped by driving around the area looking for him. The police said we could not leave the house. My brother had come home and left on bike before the cops arrive so he cycled around until 10 ish before coming home. The police spoke to me to explain the situation. And then a cop came in who spoke the same language as us. He then took down the info. speaking to my grandmother directly. A cop searched our whole house. And then two big guys in suits came in who were part of the CIB came in and searched the house. They even had helicopters searching the area with lights and an officer down with a map leading a search and rescue. My brother told me, they literally had the cop car in the park. The park that my grandfather goes to and we were afraid he went alone (because normally he goes only with my dad present) is a big park with a forest and a pond. Plenty of places to fall into and pass out. Mind you, he's on blood pressure medication on top of the Alzheimer's disease.
We were so overwhelmed with the kindness that the neighbours did to chip in and help. Same with the services provided by the York regional police officers. I know it's their "job" but honestly it means alot. We all sat there worried of the possibility of how we would find him. I know as we all sat there silently we were scared that something may have happened to him like what if fell in the pond and drowned. The messed up part is now that I think about it, is that that's how my cousin passed away by drowning. :S And then finally when speaking to an officer I heard a message on his walkie talkie, he then explained to me they found him. He was sitting on a bench at a No Frills 2 km away from our place. 2 km is a long distance for my grandfather. The cop brought him home around 12:30 am. We were all so relieved. He was confused due to the lack of food and water. But we got him settled, made him food, gave him water and medication.
Of course my grandmother was a mess but I gave her, her anti-anxiety medication even though I think the dose on that is not even high enough to get her to sleep tonight.
The cop that spoke the same language as us told my grandfather to not wander off and to stay close to home. He also told my grandfather about the bracelet that those with AD usually wear for identification. The messed up part is my grandfather wasn't planning on going far so he left his wallet at home, with all his identification and money. Thank God he was found and he's doing well. I honestly hope this never happens again but with AD, you never know.
It's just been a hectic, overwhelming and annoying day. I honestly can't recall a moment during this day where I was content and happy. Clinicals was just some next craziness that I don't even want to think about, but the bright side today was basically my last day. The gym was meh but I had my abs/back class so you know how awkward that went. Another thing I learnt today. Never limit yourself and think that this is all there.

No comments:

Post a Comment