Thursday, May 12, 2011

week 1


Overwhelming. Atleast they aren't sugar coating and hiding reality. They are blatently telling us this is your final semester before consolidation (aka pre grad) so it's going to be hell. My clinical placement? haha don't get me started. I'm at a stroke/rehab unit. My group and I are not the biggest fan when my other friends are at med-surg placements, like GI, respiratory and even gynacelogy. It's like day care where we are still playing with tricycles while everyone else got the big new shiney two wheelers. I better get into med-surg for my pre grad. If I don't get to observe in a surgery or even perfect nursing skills like tracheostomy care or nasogastric tubes, I will be one unhappy sailor. So yeah, I'm going to make it known with the coordinator early on by e-mailing the appropriate people and telling them where I want to be. Otherwise I like my placement. Nurses are awesome. So far they seem so sweet and no cattiness! I'm going to make the most of what I got with placement and work on skills that I can do with the patients here. *sigh* Another bright side is the hospital is like 10-15 minutes away. So I don't have to worry about the timely commute. I have time to come home eat and sleep earlier which gives me more time to study and get to the gym. I think the overwhelming part of this semester is the readings and work, there is a shit load of them. =| Picture depicts sepsis when there is bacteria in the blood, which would lead to septic shock a really low blood pressure, which becomes life-threatening. Saw it at clinicals today.

2 comments: