Friday, May 14, 2010

box of memories

So new semester new binders. I wasn't keen on going out and buying new binders so I had to hunt for some in my room, I know they were hiding somewhere here. In my closet I found a box of highschool stuff, all my notes of courses I thought were critical for me to keep for reference. But of course I never looked at ANY of them up until today. It was just a rewind and as I looked at the stuff I studied I was surprised because they come up in my anatomy and physio or pathophysiology (this semester). So I wondered WHY THE HELL CAN'T I REMEMBER THIS? Well then again I never really utilized my biology knowledge when I got to university. I mainly focus on chem. As I went through my chem stuff I found this OLD ... and when I mean old I mean OLD periodic table of elements. It has some some elements highlighted, some numbers sprawled accross and equations which shown were written with either care or rush. The corners were folded or torn and the paper is clearly worn out. It looked like a piece of map just no biege tint to it. I looked at it and this felt like another lifetime. How much I loved chem. Chemistry was just a beautiful subject but I knew I was not going to be happy working in a lab or a pharmacy. I wanted to help people, especially kids!
When professors introduce themselves and tell us about their nursing experience I sit there in awe because one day I want to be able to do that. Today a professor told us about her nursing experience and you can tell how passionate she was about nursing just by how effective she was to the class. It was just so motivating and heart warming to see someone love something like a job. I hope to one day be able to have that same passion because we do see alot of worn out, over worked and stressed nurses who just have this grumpy unapproachable attitude. Then I wonder how can they be like this to families of patients and what not? A friend of mine was actually in the hospital before exams and he was telling us how incompetent some nurses can be. Once he threatened to speak to the CNO (College of Nurses Ontario) the service was all of sudden better. *sigh* I don't know I guess for some nurses patients just become objects that we just "work" on to improve we tend to forget "art of nursing".
Well back to my flash back...it was like I was in a different time. After filling a once empty box with old notes, tests, lecture notes, lab manuals, workbooks etc. that I knew wasn't going to be any use but to contribute to the recycling process I sat there and stared at the mess. The binders were still sprawled on the ground binders in a messy pile. I kept three things from the box: the periodic table, this plastic booklet on chemistry (which I purchased from a science store with my parents) and a paper I did in gr 12 on The Types of Natural Selection (God I love Charles Darwin). I realized how much I've changed for the good and the bad since High School. I still have alot to do for myself. I am happy with myself but what bugs me is that I am disconnected from my past if that makes sense. I mean I guess I shouldn't be so connected to my past no one should otherwise they won't get to the future. Hmm weird.. well on the bright side I took a trip to the past with all my memories and I have binders and dividers! Wooot =]

No comments:

Post a Comment