Monday, September 12, 2011

oh lord

Patient needed a pack of ice for his pain. I walk out of his room, look down the unit and in walks in this really hot tall guy. He's wearing a nice dark suit, probably less then 27 years old, cute eyes and friendly warm smile. I walk into the clean utility room to grab the bag and walk to the pantry to put some ice in it. He's standing there with two other older men in suits as well. "Well hello hello Mr. eye candy" I said in my head. Grab the ice and get a good look at him from the front. He had this white piece where his tie was suppose to me. Oh my God he's a priest! And for some reason I felt sinful for checking him out that way.
So far clinicals are pretty good. Alot of broken bones. I got to practice alot of my nursing skills from iv set up, wound dressings and yesterday I got remove staples out of a patient. The evening shifts aren't so bad compared to days so I'm a little nervous about that. The nurses I work with seem really cool and laid back. My first day was pretty interesting. Most of the patients we get are from the ER or surgery; so one of the patients heart rate shot up to 165 (normal is 60-100). The nurse then informed the doctor and an ECG was suppose to be done on her. By the time the attending came she reverted back to normal sinus. Yesterday we got a new admission who fractured his femur. He was a young guy and we had to unfortunately cut off his underwear to do a rectal swab and also so he can pee. We told him that we had to do it because we cannot move a leg AT ALL after it's been fractured. There were tractions and weights in place so he was completly immobilized until his surgery. So we had to cut off his underwear. I give my nurse the scissors and he goes in his thick accent"Ohhh Armani eh? made in hong kong? china?" Im standing there going :| trying not to laugh and the patient lets out a small laugh, smiles and says China. Thank god the poor guy had his morphine.

No comments:

Post a Comment