Sunday, September 25, 2011

gabapentin

What an exhausting week. I swear it feels so weird waking up at 6 am in the morning on weekends. Don't know how people do it. It should be illegal or like a religious rule not to come into work until like 11 am. I had a birthday party last night and I swear once 1030 hit I was grumpy and ready to get to bed. It was such a tiring day, I don't even know why. I was starting to dose off at the computer when I was charting.
Then we got a direct admission from Muskoka. And I don't know I just get this rush when I have to deal with emergency like situations so I was more alert. I got the patient's vital, helped the paramedics (oh yah ;)) get her into her bed, did her swabs and assessed her fracture. So one of the paramedics was pretty cute, we kept making eye contact, flirty glances and smiles. Hey! I was having a slow day okay and this was my pick-me-up. And yes ladies he was cute! Tall, dark hair, cute friendly smile; the works! ;) But yeah after all that chaos, I was a bit more alert. My preceptor was like I think you are more awake because of the cute paramedic. Bahaha not even. Me and him are alot more cool and close now (as you can tell). I was complaining how I'm cold and he was like are you on your period? I was like seriously we've come that close that you're asking me if I'm on my period?
Lol Now as for studying, let me tell you how much I'm sucking at it. Luckily tuesday I have a day off. I thought I was working all week... but I'm going to use that day to catch up on studying. I also have the weekend off to do some more chapters. I was intending on coming home and sleeping but I had a small ice cap for lunch so I think I must be piped up on the caffiene and can't really sleep. Ah well.
Yesterday I got to go to the morgue to see the removal of two eyes which was going to be used for corneal transplant. It was amazing. An eye transplant is the only organ which you don't need a sterile field or an OR, so we did it right in the morgue. It was so morbid, like there is this eerie feeling to being in a morgue. Anyways the procedure was pretty cool. The doctor snipped off the muscles that moves the eyeball left to right. Then he cut off the optic nerve. He then packed the eye balls in normal saline. They then would use the corneas for the transplant. Two people got vision out of the organ donation.

4 comments:

  1. I've never thought of that - I have to constantly shower going between Necropsy and backwards to the Prep room, and sometimes when I don't plan my daily routine right, I end up showering twice - yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh! Necropsy...you must come across some interesting things eh? But yeah it's just for the eyes. All her other organs were removed in the OR.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Incidentally, I was talking to a surgeon today who was all like - hells, yeah - the eyes are really cool- zero sterility required blah blah. I looked at him very intelligently and said, yes yes I have a friend who does this routinely and I already know about it. Pavam, he lost his moment of glory. Anyway, we did some awful pancreas and kidney stuff today and I wanted to throw up throughout the procedure, except I was assisting with watching that the intubation didn't come out. All the while though, my scrubs were really itchy scratchy and I wanted to just leave and change out of them and be like - happy friday, i'm leaving you now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hehee there goes his moment. Out of curiosity what is your profession? I wish I can get into the OR and see some live kidney and pancreas.

    ReplyDelete