Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Rihanna S&M and my contradicting thoughts

My friend has been talking a lot about dominatrix and sexuality evolving in music videos. Especially in regards to Rihanna's new music video S&M. I was too disgusted, confused and sort of disturbed to post it on my blog. =\
Here are my thoughts that seem to be arguing with each other.
(1) There's nothing wrong with Rihanna's video. A women should be allowed to explore and express her sexuality.

(2) She pushed it well beyond the limits.


(3) There should have been some limitations but IF Rihanna followed the norms of abiding to those limitations her video would have been another music video of this day and age. She wants to go beyond that and get that attention. Why? Because attention=money


(4) Looks a lot like Gaga's work


(5) Me just talking about it right now fuels what Rihanna wanted in the first place...attention and publicity. Well it's such a cheap trick anyways...


(6) My friend was talking about the video just gives off the wrong idea to impressionable young girls. It's just disturbing because there was a scene where she is just lying there mangled on a table as a group of men walk away. There was also another scene where a black lady was taped up to the wall with duct tape across her month and you can see she's resisting and rihanna kisses her :S I was repulsed ugh..


(7) BUT once again the thought pops up in my head...that's rihanna's sexuality and she's expressing it

(8) BUT if she's a celebrity she should have some discretion to those who are viewing it right? I mean if she was thinking about her fans when she left Chris brown after being in an abusive relationship shouldn't she then think about the thought she's implanting in those young girls with a video like this? I know I can't compare the two matters because an abusive relationship is different to her video. But her video can lead to really crappy outcomes. ugh

LOL as u can see I’m
a little conflicted on this. In general, the video was stupid and crap. However, it brings up some good clashing points that a lot of girls face; Sexuality vs. traditional norms. Nowadays, some women are more open about their sexuality. Whereas, there's always this power struggle on whether we should express it or not because we fear what the outcome is (what people will think or say). We also are anxious that it's wrong to have done what we've done. I know I've got the shame despite writing all of this. So her video regardless of the vulgarity... makes me think of some points. I guess there is a limit. You can share and express certain aspects of your sexuality nevertheless there's limitation. Like I'm not going to sit here and share all the details of my sex life and the various positions and crazy things I've done.

This is also how I see it, our minds need to be constantly stimulated. Once something that entertains us has expired in its amusement we throw it away. Think of a baby throwing a way a toy she out grows. The same applies here. There was first that black and white era where kissing was a taboo! As years progressed we began seeing a women’s breast, butt and a man’s penis or butt. Now it’s come to the point where our mind has been stimulated enough of the sex and it’s naughtiness. We’ve out grew that. That’s SO yesterday! Seeing this on screen is the new taboo. Because just like parents and adults were telling there children not to watch the black and white movies because of the kissing some time ago… this is what’s happening now. (The above can be applied to violence as well)

From the looks of it we're regressing and/or media is trying to tap into the primitive parts of our brain with the hyper sexuality and excessive violence. By regressing, I mean what else did we do when we were cavemen/cavemens.. men hunted, violently fought over the women, pulled the female by her hair over to a corner and had sex with her whether she liked it or not. Trying to tap into our brain by making videos with excessive sex and violence as a form of escaspism telling us that it's okay to feel a certain way because it's innate and primitive.

But what makes us different from the cave people is our sense of evolvement and control. Now alot of adults can have a sense of maturity and grasp when it comes to limits but do children and teenagers? Nope.. so why expose them to this.


LOL I know i know i'm probably all over the place and possibly contradicted myself a few times but hmm just having my moment of thinking. Talk about a long brain fart....its like those long explosive farts where oen comes right after the other. BOOM BOOM BANG!

No comments:

Post a Comment