Thursday, June 2, 2011

ecstatic?

There's this nervous excitement in the pit of my stomach. My teacher got me and another student on the med-surg unit for tommorow. I hate that sometimes I just lack the confidence in my abilities and let that screw with my mind. The moment should be enjoyed and utilized wisely, not living in fear and anxiety. I know my shit, and maybe it wouldn't hurt to review my nursing skills. I'm guessing it's natural that I am nervous..hm? I just want to be competent and know what I got to know when I get on the unit tommorow. I also hope I have a good nurse tommorow. If the nurse is in a bad mood and doesn't want to teach, then we really don't get much out of it. At the same time I really do hope I get some good hands on experience and get a glimpse at how the unit functions because I'm considering going into med-surg for my pre-grad + possibly in nursing.
So yeah sorta shitting bricks for tommorow, but it's all a learning experience. I'm working on this care plan. *sigh* It's going to take forever to finish. We have 11 categories of needs(oxygenation, nutrition, elimination, activity/exercise etc.) in which we collect data and analyze (with references). Before we would just have to do the data collection for all the needs and analyze only the priority need of the patient. So if the patient is constipated, his/her priority need would be elimination (bowel). But no, they changed that now. They want analysis on all 11 needs. With more analysis on the priority need. What the douche man? *sigh* LOL I really shouldn't be writing in my blog, if I manage my time wisely I can do some review for tommorow + studying for my patho test next week. But hmm don't know how that's going to go.
Alot of my friends complain about the extensive amount of work we are bombarded with at my college. Compared to other schools ours is much harder (according to the students of other schools and even teachers). And yeah they drill us into doing our head to toe assessments (even though nurses don't even do that when they actually practice, unless you are an ICU nurse) and make us do all these math calculation and write weekly care plans! But all this work is going to eventually benefit us right? Regardless of how crazy it makes you and time consuming it can be. You tend to pick up bad habits when you start practicing on your own in the hospital. So I hope what they are drilling in to my head sticks with me for the rest of my career. Ugh... Im staring at Jojo snapping at a rock... Lol what a cutie he's got the simple life.

No comments:

Post a Comment